What to expect when your Hack…athoning :)
Joining a Hackathon can be a pretty daunting undertaking especially when it’s your first time doing one. Here’s a few tips to help walk you through getting started:
- Don’t overthink it — I spent hours figuring out which Hackathon to bite the proverbial bullet on on. Experience working with other developers is very valuable especially when you recently graduated from a bootcamp.
- Team or no team? — I’d definitely suggest either putting a team together or try and join a team not to do a repeat of number 1 but working with others is very important and it’s good practice for white boarding challenges as well as technical interviews.
- You know what you know —Everybody brings their own bit of knowledge to a team during a hackathon. Me as a fresh out of bootcamp grad didn’t feel like I had much to contribute to the team(that was not the case lol). This is a great opportunity to practice skills you’ve developed as well as new ones.
- Have fun!!! — Coding should always be done with a smile on your face so have a good time when your hacking away lol.
Here are a few sites to visit when your looking into joining a hackathon:
- Devpost — https://devpost.com/hackathons
- Hackerearth — https://www.hackerearth.com/challenges/hackathon/
- Hackathon.com — https://www.hackathon.com/
There are many more not mentioned above but hope this at least gets anybody started on their first go around!!!